2.28.2012

Singing His Praises

Luke 22: 42-44: "Jesus knelt down and prayed, 'Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.' An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground."

I have always thought Jesus in this passage was praying for the cross to be taken from him because he didn't want to endure the physical pain. He didn't want the brutal beatings, floggings, the nails in his hands and feet, the sword in his side. While he indeed endured brutal torture, he's actually praying against the spiritual pain he's about to experience due to separation from God, his father.

Matthew 27:45-47: "From noon until three in the afternoon darkness came over all the land. About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eli, Eli, lema savachthani?' (which means 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?') When some of those standing heard this, they said, 'He's calling Elijah.'"

When Jesus was crucified, God turned his back on him. Not because he didn't love his son, but because his son took on all the sin of the world, and God hates sin. He hates sin so much he couldn't even look at Jesus.

Jesus, perfect and sinless, died on the cross experiencing unimaginable physical pain, but more importantly experiencing separation from God, and he did it for us. He did it for me, ugly and sinful. He did so I don't have to experience separation from God. Instead, I will experience eternal fellowship with God.

Austin always says, "If all Jesus ever did for you was die to save your soul, isn't that enough to sing his praises all the days of your life?"

Isn't it enough?

Isn't Jesus enough?

I pray my life sings his praises well.


PS - I realize it's Tuesday, and I'm a day late, but I'm going to link up to Bits of Splendor Monday anyways. Just because I wanna. And because I think everyone should go read Laura's blog. She has an amazing heart for the Lord. And she's really cute. And she has really cute babies.

bits of splendor monday


3 comments:

  1. beautifully written and just perfect. He IS enough. I need to remember that when Im having crazy moments throughout the day! thanks for sharing your precious heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this!

    Any time I question myself or who I am or my worth, I always remind myself..Jesus died for ME! Believing anything less of myself than who He says I am, is like saying He's not enough for me, or what He did wasn't enough. Realizing that, changed me forever.

    Shared this on my facebook and twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete